Explaining Hypnosis – Use This Great Metaphor
Deep Dive Master Class On How Hypnotherapy Works And Why We Are Like Cars
Today I want to share with you a way to explain the benefits of hypnotherapy and mind coaching to your clients. We will be expanding upon a concept from William Glasser’s Choice Therapy and How To Take Charge of Your Life. The concept describes the human experience as being somewhat similar to being a four wheel drive car.
We Explain Hypnotherapy By Going Deeper Into the Metaphor
Now some people get a giggle from this and say they are like high performance models that hug the road, others say they are more like luxurious models designed for long comfortable journeys. Some will say they are economical and quick, others say they are like cars that are reliable and safe. But today we are moving beyond the fun we could have with that metaphor and we going much deeper because…
We All Respond to Problems and Challenges In The Same Way
It doesn’t really matter what kind of car might describes your personality because – when we pop the hood and look at the engine we discover that we all respond to problems and challenges in the same way.
We all have an engine – it is the beating heart of our lived experience and repository of all our subconscious automatic non-thinking responses. Our engine powers our wants, needs and our desires.
We all have a steering wheel – to help us consciously set the direction and navigate our way through life. And as you already know, we use the steering wheel to control the direction of our four wheels…
- The front wheels represent the way we think and act.
- The back wheels represent the way we feel and the way we respond to circumstances in our lives.
Explaining hypnosis is easy when you talk about how the four wheels represent the four parts of every problem.
No matter what problem you, your clients, or the people you love will face – you will always work with the four parts of the problem.Susan Wallace
The way you think, the way you act – are your front wheels
The way you feel and your physiology – the way your body responds– these are your back wheels.
Just like you can manoeuvre and control the wheels on a 4 wheel drive, you can pretty much do the same with your thoughts, actions, feelings and your physiology.
Are You Aligned To Your Chosen Destination?
If the wheels on your car aren’t properly aligned, it can be difficult for you to get to where you want to go in life.
It’s the same thing with your thoughts, actions, feelings and your physiology – you need to have those four ‘wheels’ aligned if you’re going to:
- Navigate the tough terrain of getting on in life,
- If you’re going to steer clear of unexpected obstacles and
- Find the courage, confidence and conviction to change direction when you have to,
- If you’re going to face unchartered territory when you want to try new things and
- Stay focused on getting to where you want when you find yourself down a dead end road.
As drivers on this journey we call life…
We have direct control over the two front wheels, namely our thinking and actions. But we only have indirect control over the rear wheels… our feelings and our physiology.
Direct control over front wheels
Indirect control over the back wheels
It’s Easier To Contol The Direction Of The Back Wheels When Things Are Going Well
It’s easier to control the direction of the back wheels when things are going well and our front wheels – when our thoughts and our actions are focused on the positive things in life.
But if you, your clients or the people you love are feeling down, depressed, anxious or upset then we have a problem. Our back wheels – those wheels we only have indirect control over – our feelings and our physiology – will be affected.
The fact that you feel down, depressed, anxious, fearful, out of sorts, lost or upset is going to feel like:
- The brakes are jammed on the back wheels
- Or it might show up as a belief that you’re stuck in mud
- You might feel like your spinning your wheels and getting nowhere fast.
So when it comes to getting the best out of this journey through life, learning hypnotherapy will give you the skills to pop the hood on the engine. You will be able to:
- Take a closer look at the engine that is driving your lived experience
- Hypnotherapy will help you uncover subconscious beliefs that are putting the brakes on your success and sabotaging your efforts.
Today I’m inviting you to join me on one of my diploma courses.
You will learn the skills to be able to
- Access the engine – the beating heart of our lived experience
- Become crystal clear on exactly where you want to go in life
- Discover and work with the thoughts, actions, feelings and physical responses that hold you back
- Figure out what thoughts, actions, feelings and physiology will put you on the road to success
- You’ll learn how to consciously keep better control of the steering wheel so you can decide where you want to go
- You’ll become expert at navigating the twists and turns along the way
- You’ll learn the skills to reprogramme unwanted subconscious responses that are putting the brakes on your experience and slowing down your progress
- You’ll learn how to do this for yourself
- How to do it for the people you love
- You’ll also learn how to do it as a professional fee paid Mind Coach and Hypnotherapist.
Hypnotherapy isn’t wishy washy magical thinking – it is an evidence based, empirically researched branch of psychology that is client centred and solution focused – or at least it is the way I teach it –Susan Wallace
When you join me on one of my diploma courses, I’ll teach you a framework that is easy to learn and easy to implement.
It will provide effective solutions to an extremely wide range of problems and challenges that we all face from time to time as we journey through life.
I have three great diploma courses for you to choose from, and I’m here to help you plan your next step.
Before You Do Anything – Book a Clarity Call with Susan Wallace
You’re warmly invited to book a thirty minute Clarity Call with me. This isn’t a sales call, it’s a way for me to help you
- Recognise any ways you might be sabotaging your success.
- Discover opportunities you might be missing out on.
- And for me to get to know you and what you want and provide you with whatever resources I think will help you move forward in life.
This is Susan Wallace, thanks for your time and leadership.
I’m here to help you be the best, have the best and give your best to your clients.
Happy Hypnotising! Explaining hypnosis to your clients is easy when you use this metaphor from Choice Therapy. You can instantly add this process to the work you do with your own clients. I hope this will help you explain hypnosis and mind coaching to your clients in an easy to understand way.